Sunday 22 July 2012

You can take the girl out of the stables...

...but will that make her an artist?

I have always been interested in horses. I even had a horse for a while, though sadly I had to sell him to study fine art abroad. I'm still not convinced that was the right decision.

I have, however, kept painting horses, and I have quite a few photographs lying around as potential references and ideas. Reference pictures with no moral or copyright grey area. I've been working with them recently for ideas for painting, collecting sketches and pictures in a sketch book.


I picked this bottom sketch/photo to start working on a painting. It's not really a great photo, but I do enjoy the energy, and felt that the crop, getting half of this horse, half of that, really gave it a spontaneous and energetic feel.


and guess what's on tv today?


So I've started painting this, and rather enjoying it too. It is funny how much I've enjoyed painting since my time as an art student finished. Maybe it's because there's no pressure for me to do anything meaningful and important, no one really cares if my work is personal or just decorative, no one really cares about my sources, and no one really cares if I've found a new, creative, 'arty' angle. No one cares, so I can finally stop worrying and do what I like. Which means my work is probably better than anything I created when I did worry. 



So far, I've pretty much decided on composition and colour scheme. I quite like the combination of blues and browns.


It's starting to come together.



I believe this is done!
Is it bad that I still remember the names of these horses?
On the left is Joker, the fat Fjord is Lisa, and the headless one probably Balder.
That's a long, long time ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment