Wednesday 4 July 2012

planning The Future, or: Banging my head against a virtual wall

My life, as I know it, is over.

I have been a student for 3 years. That means, for three years, I have known what to do and where to be. Now my course is over, and I'm facing The Future.

I have been looking forward to not be an art student anymore.
The real world seems that much more appealing when you have nothing to say as an artist. Plus, the idea of living with my boyfriend is super exciting. Still, seeing the end of my course approaching was terrifying.

I do have plans, and dreams, and ideas - most of them conflicting - but online research is not very enlightening.

I think I would like to become a teacher. Sure, it is not as appealing as becoming a painter, but it could be rewarding, and I think I might enjoy it. Of course I change my mind about this every time I find myself accidentally on the same bus as a bunch of school kids. On those occasions I'm convinced human kind is doomed.

Figuring out the next steps from here is a difficult matter though.
Online resources are quite confusing, offering far too many lists and bullet points and not enough specifics. Right now, I know I'll need Initial Teacher Training and probably a couple of subjects on top of that. How, what, where, and when aren't quite clear though. That would be: how do I get into it? what exactly do I need to do? Which qualifications do I actually have, and how much more and what exactly will I need? Where can I study? Where do I live to study in location X? When do I apply?
So this all leads to one question: WHO CAN HELP ME?!

And speaking of the question of where to live, I will need to find somewhere rather soon, as I need to vacate my flat by mid September.

And I'll need a job.
Something temporarily permanent to keep me going for a couple of years. That will be fun, with little or no relevant work experience. I very much doubt being able to adjust images in photoshop or work with layout in inDesign will be very helpful if I apply for a job as a waitress.

Being a Scandinavian Blonde, on the other hand, might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment