Sunday 9 December 2012

The Breakfast Problem


I'm not a breakfast person. This might possibly be an extension of not being a morning person. When I've dragged myself out of bed, still half asleep and wandering around like a zombie, I simply don't feel ready for food. I'm not hungry, nor am I tempted to eat.

Still, primary school propaganda says breakfast is the most important meal of the day (though this may or may not also be a scientific fact), so an effort should be made to eat something.

Years of research (also known as Life) has resulted in this small list of breakfast options, containing predictable variations of the breakfast classics everyone knows and loathes (or maybe that's just me?).


Breakfast Smoothie
Admittedly, making a smoothie in the morning does take some time. Peel and dice fruit, add yoghurt and/or juice, blend, and clean blender. It can, however, be made ahead. My mother makes smoothie in bulk, and stores it in the fridge in convenient, portion-sized containers. All you have to do is take it out of the fridge and drink. I think it's a great way to start the day, all the fruity goodness is refreshing and can give you a much needed kick in the morning, and do i need to mention it's full of vitamins AND one of your five a day?
There are ready made frozen smoothie fruit mixes available on the market, which makes things easy. The good thing with smoothies is, of course, that you can add anything you like. I did a dead simple strawberry, avocado and strawberry yoghurt smoothie once, which sounds weird but tasted really nice.

Porridge
I know many people swear to oatmeal porridge in the morning. Horses among them.
I have a periodical love/hate relationship with it, sometimes it's really nice, other times I can't bear to think of it. Porridge is nice with a bit loads of sugar, though an interesting variation is using syrup instead, and when I was a kid I usually had it with loads of raspberry jam (enough to make it a lovely dark fuchsia colour). For healthier varieties I've seen suggestions to add fresh fruits and berries.

Cereals
The breakfast classic, and usually the last thing I want in the morning. I know cereals come in every flavour and variety, but more often than not, it's not very tempting anyway and I'd rather skip breakfast altogether. I think it's the idea of things soaking in milk that doesn't particularly appeal to me. Milk is one of the things I find sickening in the morning (no I'm not pregnant, I've been like this since I was about 8). A more appealing way is eating a bit of muesli with yoghurt and fruit. I like strawberry yoghurt and banana slices.

Bread, Toast and Sandwiches
I'm not a fan. Bread generally feels dry and tends to give me that 'grow in the mouth' feeling, making the classic Slice of Bread with Cheese and a Glass of Milk a definite no-go. Though there are some bread varieties and sandwich fillings I can't resist (as long as it's not too early in the morning). The classic bacon sandwich, for example. Or, to make it more interesting, a BLT. Bacon is also absolutely amazing with brussels pâté. As is watercress.

Pancakes, Crumpets, Waffles and other Sweets
Most of all remind me of a petit déjeuner - breakfast the French way. Something sweet with no more nutritional value than a cardboard box. Tempting, but you're probably better off not eating at all... But if you've got the time, you could make French toast using brown bread. I like bread with bits of grains and seeds. French toast recipes usually demand white bread, but this demand can be ignored. Personally I prefer the texture of brown bread anyway, because you still got some bits to chew on after it's been soaked in the egg mixture. French toast is great with any variety of jams, my favourites are strawberry and apricot.

Eggs
Not for me in the morning. Eggs make me feel a bit sick if I have them too early. Same with milk and cheese. Some people like them though, and personally, I think they're good for brunch or a very late breakfast. Egg and bacon is the classic I guess, though my boyfriend is partial to eggs and soldiers (soft boiled eggs with fingers of buttered toast to dip). In my family, the centrepiece of a late weekend breakfast is always a nice serving of scrambled eggs with chives, served with cured ham (typically the Norwegian Westfaler) or Danish salami. It also works brilliantly with smoked salmon. Another strange thing I quite enjoy is hard boiled eggs on bread with Norwegian Kaviar.

Full English Breakfast
I'll include the full English as a weekend/hotel option, because I could never have this regularly! Too much... Though it is nice for an occasional treat.
Eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, a tomato, baked beans, hash browns, toast and, if you're not me, black pudding (to make it a full Scottish, add haggis).

Do I have to say 'serve with tea'? My favourite that is available abroad is Twining's English Breakfast. There are differences between the major tea brands, I find Twining's is the best for regular black tea blends, such as the english breakfast, earl grey &c, while Lipton is far superior when it comes to fruit teas.



No comments:

Post a Comment